For children who are ready to UP their chess skills:
- Chess Competition Team (grades 3* to 8)
*If you have a child younger than 3rd grade who you think fits into the criteria for this team, please contact us for consideration.
Our Chess Competition Team is designed specifically for students who are looking to take their chess game to the next level.
Most kids learn chess by participating in group chess courses. Although it’s a wonderful way to learn for new and novice players, these courses are not structured for more experienced players who want to get better …
… which is why we’ve started our Chess Competition Team.
In the Competition Team, your children will:
- learn and practice more advanced skills, tactics, and strategies
- get started on or increase their United States Chess Federation (USCF) chess rating
- participate in the Academy’s once a month rated quad tournaments
- participate in one travel scholastic chess tournament
Aside from being FUN, there are many benefits of playing chess:
- develop strategic and decision making skills
- strengthen attention span and memory skills which contribute to academic performance
- learn and practice good sportsmanship and the value of good planning and foresight
- meet other like-minded children and begin building a great circle of friends